Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Yarn Swift and Ball Winder

There are some tools that a knitter must have and there are other tools which are optional.  Personally,  I could not knit without my knitting needles.  They don't have to be circular or double point, they just have to be the size I need to get the correct gauge and have a pointy enough end to pick up the stitches.  I feel that my crochet hook is a necessity for me.  Many people can get away without one- they are the people who do not drop stitches that fall several rows down, like I do.  Many people have found they can knit cables without the use of a cable needle. 

So where do the yarn swift and ball winder fall in all of this?  Well, they are not necessary.  I have used family members, chairs and banisters as swifts.  The chairs and banisters are not preferred, but, at least they don't complain about the task.  Enough said.

Just today, as I was winding my gorgeous lace weight yarn from Desert Vista Dyeworks, in the Cornflower mono gradient colorway, I thought about how useful my swift and ball winder have become.  In a way, my ownership of these 2 tools makes me FEEL more like a real knitter than a crafter who knits.  Maybe this is because it takes me less time to wind the yarn and gives me more of that precious commodity to spend knitting!

Here is my new yarn, wound this morning, for my Citron KAL, which I am doing with Dramatic Knits podcast:




Progress is being made on my current project- Sunrise Socks by Wendy Johnson in the Fibernymph Dye Works Popeye's Revenge colorway of the Squoosh base yarn.  I finished the first sock last night, as I watched the Cardinals win the 3rd game of the world series.  I just could not go to bed without starting the second.....:

For Spinning, I am still working on the Crown Mountain Fibers As Above So Below 100% Corriedale.  Here is my progress on that:
I am still waiting on my Cloud Lover fiber for Knit Girllls SAL/KAL to come.  That will be in the Haunted Vineyard colorway......looks gorgeous in the pics.


Ok, so let's see how far along I make it before I crash and burn in the time management department!  Because I am starting the Citron a few days late, that will be the first item that I put aside.  In the meantime, I look forward to getting it started because that yarn is so pretty and I have been dreaming of knitting that shawl for quite some time, now.......

Until next time:  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment