Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Could I be a sockaholic?

I have to ask this question because there seems to be some evidence that I could have a problem:
1) I have just discovered a new source for sock yarn- and yes, I made a purchase!  It is called The Knitter's Brewing Company.
2) Since September first, I have cast on 4 pairs of socks and have completed 3.  I am talking pairs- as in 6 completed individual socks.  Oh yeah, and 1 pair of slippers, which are socks without legs.
3)  I special ordered sock yarn so that I can continue my journey through the Wendy Johnson experience in her book Socks from the Toe Up.  That wasn't so bad in and of itself.  It is what I did when I went to my LYS, Iris Fine Yarns to pick my Mountain Colors Crazy Foot sock yarn in the Northwind colorway. 
I must confess that I could not be satisfied with this beautiful yarn......I bought an additional skein of sock yarn.  This one is the Jitterbug in the Banwy 137 colorway.

 4) Although I currently have the Citron shawl by Hilary Smith Callis on the needles, I have the big Knit Girllls SAL/KAL project going and I am not sure when I will finish either, I just could not resist casting on yet another pair of socks, this evening!  This time I have chosen the Starflower Sock pattern by Jeannie Cartmel.  I am doing this in the Knit Picks Stroll in the Rouge colorway.
 5) I am a member of the Ravlery group Sock Knitter's Anonymous.  Somehow, I feel that my participation in the activities in this group is adding to my addiction. 

I can  at least take heart in the fact that I have knit a pair of socks for each of my children.  Their toes will be toasty whenever the snow finally falls here in North Eastern Wisconsin!

Now, a bit more on the SAL/KAL for the Knit Girllls.  We are spinning the 100% Polwarth in the Haunted Vineyard from Cloudlover.  There has been a problem and shipment of fiber and yarn has been delayed.  Because of this, Laura, aka LaLa has graciously said that the deadline will be postponed.  What sweetheart she and Leslie, aka udon'tcallmeles are!  I really feel bad for Cloudlover!  She is an awesome indie dyer and she expressed her frustration and sorrow over this situation.  In the end, this will all work out well for everyone, I have no doubt.

So as I spin the gorgeous Polwarth fiber, I have discovered several things about it.  It is soft, like I cannot tell you!  It does not itch and will be great next to the skin.  The fiber, itself, spins thin, strong and beautiful.  My original plan was to fractal ply this- you split the fiber so that when you do the double ply, you have less chance of long areas of the same color touching.  This gives a nice barber pole/candy cane effect to the finished yarn.  As I spin this yarn and see the depth of colors coming out, it is screaming to be navajo plyed.  This makes a 3 ply yarn where the colors only touch the same colors and there is no barber poling/candy cane effect.  I consulted with my dh, Jim and he agrees with me.  I wonder what any one else thinks about this?  If you care to comment, I would be interested in anyone's opinion.

It is late.  The time changes in the wee hours of the morning; however, it is still late even with that in consideration.  Until next time- Keep the fantasy alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment